01/01/23 – Happy New Year everyone and first triathlon of the year. Aptly named the Edinburgh New Years Day triathlon it was based at the Commonwealth Pool and road round Arthur’s Seat. My bike left for the race yesterday and I managed to get a lift through this morning from a fellow Glasgow Triathlon Club member as family were coming through later, don’t think they’d have been impressed with the early start. The weather was milder than I’d thought so racked the bike and left slightly less kit than I’d planned to wear for transition 1. 

The swim was in the 50m pool, I hadn’t swum in a pool this length in a few months so was a bit nervous (especially as I’m not very good at swimming). Instead of staying in one lane for the entire swim, someone went every 5 seconds and swam up one lane, under lane rope, down next lane etc until came out at the other side of the pool. It started with slowest swimmer first so I was in the first third of the swimmers. The swim wasn’t as bad as I’d thought once the first two lengths were done. This was when my nose clip decided to try and come off and I was still nervous. Last few lengths I found my rhythm and very nearly enjoyed it. Next was straight out the pool, grab my glasses from poolside and run to transition. I quickly tried to get my layers on and was doing well until it got to the gloves… I struggle with hand dexterity and with wet hands it was even worse. Eventually they were on enough and off I went.

The bike section was 3 times clockwise round Arthur’s Seat. It started off nice and flat but then the hill, that was a dig deep and just keep on pedaling. It levelled off then downhill, through the chicane and back round again. The crowds were great and cheering everyone on. My bike is stronger than my swim which did mean I had a benefit and could start to move up the field although, with it being a staggered start you never know where you are. As the faster swimmers came out the pool the speedy cyclists soon zoomed past but I like a challenge so always tried to keep on their wheels for as long as I could. Back into transition and I couldn’t feel my feet, they were really cold. Wet socks off, shoes on and off I went.

The run was another lap of Arthur’s Seat. This was my favourite part although I had to run up the hill and not walk like I do when doing an ultra. Again a few more places gained. By the final downhill I felt my feet come back. Last little uphill and I saw the family just before the finish. In their style they made the end but missed the rest of the event. Finish line crossed and cool glass medal given to me.

Now it was time to get showered and wait for the results.…. Eventually I found out I was 5th female and 2nd FV40 so another podium. Then had to break the news to hubby that we needed to stay for the prize giving but it did mean I got to eat a huge scone. The cafe had a good selection but can’t beat a scone. There were two of us from GTC that scooped a podium and it was great to see all the others from the club. 

Eventually hit the road home, the girls snoozed and Tilly peered over my shoulder until she decided a snooze was a better idea too. Now time for dinner!